Skip to main content


Government Resources & Services

  • Infant Toddler Program should be your first call after you receive your child’s diagnosis.  They are helpful with paperwork and answering questions.  This is the program that will set up your baby’s therapies that he/she will start soon after birth.
  • Katie Beckett Medicaid Cost Sharing Program
    • If you do not qualify for Medicaid based on your income then you may apply for Katie Beckett.  This program is based on your child’s diagnosis and not your income. It works very similar to Medicaid.  Your service coordinator from Infant Toddler will help!
      • The actual language in The Idaho Health Plan Coverage booklet states:​  “If your child qualifies for the Home Care for Certain Disabled Children Program (Katie Beckett), Medicaid will send you a letter with a suggested, voluntary premium amount that is based on your income. If you’re unable to pay the premium amount, your child’s Medicaid eligibility won’t be affected.”
  • Health Insurance Premium Payment Program
    • What is the Health Insurance Premium Payment Program?
    • The Health Insurance Premium Payment Program (HIPP) is a Medicaid program that pays for the private health insurance premiums for certain individuals with high medical costs. This program was implemented as a cost-saving plan, based on the idea that paying the private insurance monthly premiums for an individual who is seriously ill would cost the state much less than paying for the cost of an individual’s complete medical care through the state’s Medicaid program.
    • HIPP programs are not offered in every state and eligibility requirements vary. Generally, to participate in a state’s HIPP program, an individual must qualify for Medicaid and have an existing medical condition that has been determined to be a cost-effective condition for the HIPP program. HIPP program enrollees are entitled to full State Medicaid benefits, including those not covered under the private health insurance plan.
    • For more information contact the Idaho Department of Health and Welfare:
      • (866) 458-7657
  • Reimbursement for Transportation
    • You can get reimbursed for the miles you travel to and from doctor appointments and therapies.  In the summer of 2016 this program switched to a new provider, Veyo, and we have heard it can be difficult and confusing.  If you are having issues the best place to go is to our Facebook page and post your questions.  Then others can help!
  • Respite Care for the Family
    • Your service coordinator through Infant Toddler can get your family approved for paid Respite Care. This can be another frustrating process as it can take and very long time to get the provider paid, but once you get your respite care provider approved you can use the funds to pay for the respite care. Respite care means that a care provider that you have chosen, that is CPR and first aid certified, comes into your home and can babysit your child with Down syndrome and you use the funds from the government to pay for the care.  The respite care provider can also do cleaning, cooking, or shopping that is necessary for your family.  This is the process until they are 3.  At age 3 this process changes (we have described the process in the next bullet).
  • Children's Developmental Disability (DD) Services
    • This is for when your child turns three.  Your Infant Toddler service coordinator will help you get set up with these services.
    • Children who are Medicaid eligible (including Katie Beckett) and have a developmental disability (i.e. Down syndrome) may qualify to receive home and community-based services through the Children's Developmental Disabilities (DD) Services Program.  Their website says, “The Children’s DD Services Program is a system of care that has a wide array of benefits for children based on the individual needs of the child and include interventions, supports and collaboration services. The system emphasizes evidence-based treatment methods, community integration, and family empowerment.” 
    • Children’s DD services can be delivered two ways. These start when your child is age 3:
      • The first option is called “Traditional”.  Here are a list of things you can receive under the traditional pathway:​ Respite (this is a person that comes into your home and can watch your child with a disability for you), Habilitative Supports, Family Education, Habilitative Intervention & Evaluation, Family Training, Therapeutic Consultation, Interdisciplinary Training, and Crisis Intervention and Supports.  In the “Traditional” model you choose an agency to go through and they provide the staff and workers to carry out the above resources that are needed for your child.
      • The second option is called “Family Directed”. ​ In this option you are given a certain budget of money and you decide how to best use your budget.  You can still receive respite, habilitative supports, and other services but you find your own staff to hire for these positions.  The funds you receive for your child under this plan can also be used (upon approval) for ramps for your house, alarm systems for your house, bathroom modifications, etc.  Basically, things that help your child stay at home for you to care for them so your child does not need to be institutionalized.
      • There is an entire webpage from the Idaho Department of Health & Welfare devoted to the Children's Developmental Disability (DD) Services.  Included on the right side of the page is a link called "Frequently Asked Questions".
  • The National Parks and Federal Recreational Lands Access Pass
    • This is a pass that you can get based on your child’s diagnosis of Down syndrome.  The pass gives free entry (for life) into any national park (and we have heard some state parks) to a person with Down syndrome and everyone in the car they are riding in. You can also get half price camping inside the parks.
    • Here is a link to apply for the pass (it is called the Access Pass):
  • Free Food: WIC
    • Once you receive approval for Katie Beckett Medicaid, your child is eligible for free food from the WIC office.  Women, Infants, Children provide food vouchers to those on Medicaid.  Your family may not be eligible, but your child who is on Medicaid is eligible for WIC until age 5.  This can add over $50 of free funds to your monthly grocery bill, it just depends on the items that you purchase with your WIC checks and the cost of those items.  Call the Idaho Care Line at 2-1-1 for WIC contact information.
  • Head Start
    • This is a federally funded preschool starting at age 3 based on income.  Depending on the district there is inclusion in the program. 
      • Call your local school district and ask about this program as your child approaches age 3.
  • Personal Care Services (PCS)
    • This service can provide a nurse at home to help with bathing, getting your child ready for school, or other care.
      • One provider is Premium Choice Home Care.
      • Tami Peterson 208-932-3798
  • Medical Supplies
    • You can also get diapers, gloves, wipes (hygiene clothes), bed pads, and other things for your child once they turn 4 years old if it is necessary for their care.
      • One contact is JR Konica- 208-569-4960
      • You can get supplies through Walgreens or Norco.
  • Mental Health Services- Optum
    • Counseling- Parents and siblings can get their counseling paid for by Medicaid if it pertains to the child in the family with a disability.
      • There is a specific code to use.  It is easy to get.
      • Contact: 855-202-0973
  • Dash for DS
    Dash for DS
  • EIDS Hand
    EIDS Hand