Part of our mission is to provide education to the community about Down syndrome. To do this we have developed lesson plans and kits with the needed materials to teach a lesson on Down syndrome to students in preschool all the way through high school.
Each lesson consists of sharing information about Down syndrome and then having the students participate in simulation activities that help the students to see what is feels like to have Down syndrome. In the simulations the students:
- Write with an oven oven mitt on their hand to help demonstrate fine motor challenges
- Put cotton balls in their ears to demonstrate hearing loss
- Talk with marshmallows in their mouths to demonstrate speech difficulties
If you are interested in:
- Checking out a kit (with the lesson plan and materials) to teach a group of students about Down syndrome
- Having a member of our organization come in your child's classroom (or your own classroom) to teach students about Down syndrome
- Or wanting to donate money or supplies for the kits used to teach the lessons
Then please email us at firstname.lastname@example.org or click here and fill out the contact us form. We will get back to you once we get your e-mail! Thank you!